Monday, June 12, 2023

Sherlock's on Sheppard

 When Susan and I got married (40 years this Oct.) we honeymooned in Niagara Falls and Toronto. In Toronto, we dined at an elegant restaurant called Sherlock's on Sheppard. The restaurant is long gone, but that night I took an original paper menu (before they went with a less fancy laminated one) for a souvenir.



I had the prime rib, Sherlock's cut, and Susan had the seafood grill. I recall the October night being cool and moody. The restaurant appeared out of place on some nondescript street, but once we stepped inside it was magical. It was a lovely restaurant and I was so happy to be there with my bride.

Here is a picture of my 40-year-old matches and sugar packs.


And here is a glass and my receipt from 1983. Up until then, it was the most I ever paid for a dinner for two.



We returned to Sherlock's on Sheppard a few years later with my brother and his wife. It did not feel the same, of course. The paper menus had been replaced with practical laminated ones, and also, we had gone during the day.

Stephen Gaspar's latest book, Holmes of Baker Street can be found on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment