Saturday, June 3, 2023

Holmes of Baker St.

Illustration by Josh Riley


Baker Street in London is undoubtedly one of the most famous streets in the world thanks to the wonderful work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Baker Street is a street in the Marylebone district in the City of Westminster in London. It used to run south from Regent's Park meeting Marylebone Road to the north.

Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker. In 1835 Madame Tussauds Wax Museum opened on Baker St.

Baker St. crosses several streets including Oxford St., a busy retail thoroughfare, and the street where Dr. Watson was known to buy his boots.

When the Holmes stories were published, Baker St. did not go up to 221.

I live in Windsor, Ontario, and just over 160 km northeast is London, Ontario which has its own Baker Street.

The title of my new book, Holmes of Baker Street, came to me when I was rereading The Adventure of the Reigate Squires (1893). Inspector Forrester said, “I hope I don’t intrude, but we hear Mr. Holmes of Baker Street is here.” After reading that, I was struck that those four words were as good a title as any.

Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street (1978)

All of Stephen Gaspar's books can be found on Amazon! click here!




No comments:

Post a Comment