Sunday, July 16, 2023

The Analytical Side of Sherlock Holmes

A short while ago I wrote a blog citing quotes from Sherlock Holmes's philosophical side. I thought I would write one showing the great detective's analytical side. Some of the quotes I chose from the canon are ones that most reveal Holmes as devoid of feeling and displaying cold-hearted reason.

"Crime is common. Logic is rare. Therefore it is the logic rather than the crime that you should dwell." The Copper Beaches

 "A client to me is a mere unit, a factor in a problem. The emotional  qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning."  A Study in Scarlet

"There is no crime to detect, or at most, some bungling villainy with a motive so transparent that even a Scotland Yard official can see through it."  A Study in Scarlet

"When a fact appears to be opposed to a long train of deductions it invariably proves to be capable of bearing some other interpretation."  A Study in Scarlet

"The most commonplace crime is often the most mysterious, because it presents no new or special features from which deductions may be drawn. A Study in Scarlet

"It is one of those instances when the reasoner can produce an effect which seems remarkable to his neighbour, because the latter has missed one little point which is the basis of the deduction." The Creeping Man

"Holmes is a little too scientific for my tasteit approaches to cold-bloodedness. I could imagine his giving a friend a little pinch of the latest vegetable alkaloid, not out of malevolence, you understand, but simply out of the spirit of inquiry in order to have an accurate idea of the effects."          Stamford, A Study in Scarlet

"I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for?" The Sign of Four

"It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirable mind. He was, I take it, the most perfect reasoning and observing machine that the world has seen..." A Scandal in Bohemia

"My mind is like a racing engine, tearing itself to pieces because it is not connected up with the work for which it was built." Wisteria Lodge

"I never make exceptions. An exception disproves the rule." The Sign of Four

"His cold and proud nature..." The Norwood Builder

"I choose to be only associated with those crimes which present some difficulty in their solution." The Cardboard Box

"How often have I said that when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" His Last Bow

"Women have seldom been an attraction to me, for my brain has always governed my heart."  The Lion's Mane

"Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that true, cold reason which I place above all things." The Sign of Four

"It is a critical mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." A Scandal in Bohemia

"I am the last and highest court of appeal in detection." The Sign of Four 

"Detection is, or ought to be, an exact science, and should be treated in the same cold and unemotional manner."             The Sign of Four 

"Grit in a sensitive instrument, or a crack in one of his own high-power lenses, would not be more disturbing than a strong emotion in a nature such as his."  A Scandal in Bohemia

Here, I would like to insert a few of my own analytical quotes of Holmes from my stories. 

"And for the next quarter of an hour Holmes gave a talk on this subject and how when inferring the cause of something one must use reason to the conclusion that something is the cause of something else." The Bishopsgate Jewel Case

"With a playful grin still on his face Holmes said, 'A man has been murdered! Can you believe the luck?'" Cold-Hearted Murder

"The world of London is my milieu, the study of the criminal classes my metier." The Atkinson Brothers of Trincomalee 

"I said trifles, Watson... something small and seemingly insignificant to some but may be the key to a solution if observed by the trained reasoner." The Red Leech

"Let us look at each instance in the cold light of reason, shall we?"    The Mystery of Cliff's Edge

All of Stephen Gaspar's books can be found on Amazon!

No comments:

Post a Comment