Monday, July 31, 2023

Dr. J. H. Watson

A few of my past recent blogs have been a collection of quotes from the canon of Sherlock Holmes. William Crick suggested that I do a similar blog on the most famous doctor in English literature, a doctor more well-known than Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll, or Dr. Moreau. I am referring, of course to  Dr. John H. Watson.

Most of these quotes are either from Holmes or Watson.

"I had neither kith nor kin in England, and was therefore as free as air..."  A Study in Scarlet 

"The campaign brought honours and promotion to many, but for me it had nothing but misfortune and disaster."  A Study in Scarlet

In the year 1878 I took my degree of Doctor of Medicine of the University of London, and proceeded to Netley to go through the course prescribed for surgeons in the army.  A Study in Scarlet

"I served at the fateful battle of Maiwand. There I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery"  A Study in Scarlet

“A wellplayed violin is a treat for the gods..."  A Study in Scarlet

“Oh! a mystery is it?” I cried, rubbing my hands. “This is very piquant."  A Study in Scarlet 

"I always smoke 'ship's' myself," I answered.  A Study in Scarlet 

"There is a delightful freshness about you, Watson, which  makes it a pleasure to exercise any small powers which I may possess at your expense." The Hound of the Baskervilles

"Some people without possessing genius have a remarkable power of stimulating it."
The Hound of the Baskervilles

"Really, Watson, you excel yourself," said Holmes... The Hound of the Baskervilles

"... for when I see the stub of a cigarette marked Bradley, Oxford Street, I know that my friend Watson is in the neighbourhood." The Hound of the Baskervilles

"In an experience of women which extends over many nations and three separate continents, I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature." The Sign of Four

I am not subject to impressions... The Sign of Four

"I know my dear Watson, that you share my love of all that is bizarre and outsit the conventions and humdrum routine of everyday life. You have shown your relish for it by the enthusiasm which has prompted you to chronicle, and, if you will excuse my saying so, somewhat to embellish so many of my own little adventures." The Red-headed League

"I have nothing to do today. My practice is never very absorbing." The Red-headed League

"You have a grand gift for silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion." The Man With the Twisted Lip

“Oh, a trusty comrade is always of use; and a chronicler still more so."  The Man With the Twisted Lip

"You are the stormy petrel of crime, Watson" The Naval Treaty

"Now, Watson, the fair sex is your department," said Holmes with a smile. The Second Stain

"I believe that I am one of the most long-suffering of mortals; but I’ll admit that I was annoyed at the sardonic interruption." The Valley of Fear

"You are developing a certain unexpected vein of pawky humour, Watson..." The Valley of Fear

"Your native shrewdness, my dear Watson, that innate cunning which is the delight of your friends..."  The Valley of Fear

"What with your eternal tobacco, Watson, and your irregularity at meals, I expect that you will get notice to quit, and that I shall share your downfall." The Three Students

"He was a middle-sized, strongly-built man—square jaw, thick neck, moustache... “It’s true,” said the inspector, with much amusement. “It might be a description of Watson.” Charles Augustus Milverton

Thus as my predecessor weakened his practice declined, until when I purchased it from him it had sunk from twelve hundred to little more than three hundred a year. I had confidence, however, in my own youth and energy, and was convinced that in a very few years the concern would be as flourishing as ever...  The Stockbroker's Clerk

"I keep a bull pup,” I said, “and I object to rows because my nerves are shaken, and I get up at all sorts of ungodly hours, and I am extremely lazy. I have another set of vices when I’m well, but those are the principal ones at present." A Study in Scarlet

Here, I would like to insert a few of my own quotes regarding Dr. Watson from my stories. 

"Our maker has blessed you with a good heart, my dear friend, Watson," Holmes said lowly and slowly. "You have the kindest, stoutest heart of any man I ever knew." Cold-Hearted Murder

I was shaken with a sudden horror as if I were looking at evil incarnate. Things came together in my mind and I believed I was onto the answer. The Lambeth Poisoner Case

 Married life was a considerable adjustment, especially for someone who had led a somewhat vagabond lifestyle. On the whole, I liked married life, and now for the first time, I was master of my own home, which comes with its own obligations and responsibilities. The Tired Captain 

Even in Afghanistan, I had not considered dying in a foreign land, but I had never been face to face with the murderous Ghazis as I was with these fierce-looking Indians. Holmes, Holmes on the Range

For the first time ever I had got a glimpse of the exhilaration Sherlock Holmes himself must experience once he unlocks the key to a mystery.    The Murder of John Stewart

All of Stephen Gaspar's books can be found on Amazon!


No comments:

Post a Comment