Friday, June 18, 2021

A Sherlock Holmes Case of Madness


 Sherlock 6 by Stephen Gaspar is the new Sherlock Holmes book containing six Sherlock Holmes short stories in the canonical tradition taken from the original stories themselves. 

Watson begins The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb by stating:

Of all the problems which have been submitted to my friend, Mr. Sherlock Holmes, for solution during the years of our intimacy, there were only two which I was the means of introducing to his notice—that of Mr. Hatherley’s thumb, and that of Colonel Warburton’s madness. 

In Sherlock 6 reader learn of the renown Colonel Robert Warburton and the madness that threatens him.

Excerpt from Colonel Warburton's Madness.

Anyone who has some sense of recent history of India and Afghanistan would surely know the name of Col. Robert Warburton, KCIE, CSI, who won accolades and acclaim for his role in numerous campaigns and filial duty to the Empire. In my short tour of duty I actually had the good fortune to meet Col. Warburton once and the added privilege to shake his hand. The last I had heard of the man was that he had returned to England in 1885 with little pomp and ceremony and retired to a house in Kensington.

    To be honest the name Col. Robert Warburton had totally left my mind until the spring of `89 when the very man was sitting in my consulting room. It had been a decade since I had seen Col. Warburton face-to-face, and I had to look at him three times to see if it were indeed the same man. The Col. Warburton I member was a mature but virile man, healthy and solidly built. The man who sat in my consulting room now looked like he had aged thirty years, and those thirty had not been kind. I remember him being about my height, but now appeared to have shrunk a bit. His hair was grey and thin, as was his wide-sweeping military mustache. His once sharp eyes now reflected fear and doubt. His handshake was not as strong as I remembered it. 

    The man appeared weak and feeble and a bit confused and his face was careworn.


Click here for Sherlock 6!


No comments:

Post a Comment